Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mexico Rain


Prologue: In the mother country. Some of you already know, other will discover with surprise, that I am approaching my second month of a six month assignment in Mexico City. I had only spent a year in California after my New York City assignment before I packed my bags again. Why? I have always wanted to live in Mexico so when the opportunity came up, I took it. After all, this blog is called the "Calavera Chronicles." What better place to relaunch the blog than the land of the Calaveras…

Mexico City gets a bad rap
Everyone I told about my assignment asked if I was scared given Mexico City's reputation for high crime rates. My answer, "every place is dangerous if you are not careful." Careful you must be in el D.F. (Federal District), but it is not the Wild West people paint it to be. I love it here. It is a cross between the diversity of L.A and the culture and nightlife of NYC. The food is incredible. The cultural and historical sites are not to be missed. The traffic: horrible. The people: welcoming.

Mexico City is divided into neighborhoods or "colonias." They range from the poorest to the trendy Polanco, or hip Condesa, to the corporate Santa Fe, where I live. I am at the western boundary of el D.F. The location is extremely new and safe. It boosts one of the largest in-door malls in Latin America. My view, of course, is spectacular. My apartment sits on hill and the eastern walls are all glass so I over look all of Santa Fe, down to the skyscrapers of El Centro, to the mountains.

However, the colonias also divide the socially and economically. El DF is a city of extremes. For example, the riches man in the world lives here, as do some of the poorest. It is a city that breaks my heart, but also inspires me.

We are currently in the rain season so every day it rains. Not like in Seattle or LA, it will be sunny all day then will downpour for an hour than clear up again. The rain is cathartic, cleansing the city, sky and our hearts. One of my favorite pastimes is to watch the evening sky streak with lighting or watch the rain coat the city in a new shinny skin.

Mexico City gets a bad rap. Through the next couple of months, I hope to dispel many myths while sharing my varied experiences. Stay tuned.

Wait, I almost forgot, if any of you find yourself coming to the city, let me know, I am a great host and tour guide. Happy Tacos!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hopefully mexico city can handle you

Caro said...

Glad to see you back, Calavera boy. I can attest to your hosting skills, and to el DeFectuoso's unending charms. Looking forward to your posts.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog on the city. I have never been to Mexico City and you are right, my first thought was where we were going to have to send the money after you were kidnapped. All I ever hear about is the crime. I would like to know more about the nuances about the city and your comparisions to Los Angeles.

max said...

Octavio, I am glad you are capturing the true essence our our madre patria. The media has a way to fueling negative perceptions. Like you said, it is bad anywhere you go, even in the Vatican!

Mexico is a beautiful city and one of which extreme cultural identity, heritage and pride.

Every chance we had a commercial shoot there, I jumped on the opportunity to use it as an excuse to visit.

I however, took issue to the fact that they call my peeps "de la provincia" since we are from Chihuahua...but I forgave them.

If you ever want a perspective of the Military there, shoot me a message. I can connect you with my cousin who is a sargeant at the Military Academy there. It's pretty impressive.

Keep on truckin' and dispelling those myths tavito!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.